In one section of the Danube bank, the animal is the “miracle water plant”, which had the capacity to supply the population of the capital with drinking water up to the third district in the northern part of Budapest in the event of war or other disasters. However, with the closure of the paper mill, this area was taken back by the army and the descendants of the paper mill were obliged to demolish the waterworks. Even the pipe network has been removed from the ground, so the site of the industrial wonder is now guarded only by a walnut tree and a ruined building.
However, with the closure of the paper mill, this area was taken back by the army and the descendants of the paper mill were obliged to demolish the waterworks. Even the pipeline was removed from the ground.
An old abandoned, burnt-out paper mill that, unworthy of its past, does not deserve its fate, is slowly becoming obsolete. The factory, which was nationalized in the late 1940s and sold to the Tenneco conglomerate in 1990, continued its production as PCA-Budafoki Kartongyár Rt.
After World War I, due to the Treaty of Trianon, most paper facilities moved outside the country. As a result, several paper mills were established during this period, so the company was established with Austrian capital under the name of First Cartonboard Factory Co. (CLB), and after a year of construction, it was put into operation in the autumn of 1924. Its intellectual creator and founder is Jenő Binetter, the then CEO, whose person or company is known as “Paper Binetter” and as such has been a very significant factor in the paper and paperboard business for many years. The factory was originally located in Hollenstein, Austria – as one of the five paper mills of the Leitner Group – and was relocated from there to Budafok, greatly enlarged. The factory initially lay on 8 Hungarian moons, had two 62 m long paperboard machines, and produced 500 wagons domestically and 300 wagons for export. The factory offered good jobs for the factory workers, often recruiting family members of those who worked there. One of the best known and most extensive founding working dynasties was the Müller family, with 15 family members working in the factory over time.
During World War II, CLB was declared a military plant, with production controlled by archers. Despite the circumstances, a movement of workers also began to develop among the factory workers. The factory was nationalized in 1948 by a government decree. An interesting episode is that due to an organizational error, one of the factory workers, István Balogh, a Dutch miller, was also ordered to take the oath of office at the Vasas Headquarters.
After the soviet nationalization in 1951, the plant grew with modern machine units. A 390 m industrial track was built to facilitate rail transport. In 1961, a new part of the plant was expanded, with an annual production of more than 3,500 tons of paperboard. In 1962, a connection was established with the thermal power plant of the Szesz-Yeast Factory, from now on the factory won the need for steam energy. After the reorganization of the paper industry in 1963, the factory became a factory unit of the Paper Industry Company, called Budafok Paper Factory. Significant development took place between 1968 and 1973, as a result of which production capacity doubled. The investment has also led to a number of modernization processes. The core business of the factory changed in line with socialist market demands. In 1976, the former “Naxos” grinding mill was merged with the Budafok Paper Mill, becoming its No. 2 plant.
The Budafok Paper Mill produced cartons and sheets, and one of its three cartons was put into operation in the early 1970s. This is the first time that coated paperboard has been produced in Hungary. Since 1964, the factory has partly processed its own-produced cartons and sheets in its own box plant. This plant was expanded in 1977 with state-of-the-art new machines, making it possible to make multi-color, special boxes. In the factory, pressure-sensitive products, e.g. labels and a variety of abrasives (commonly known as “emery”) have also been produced. The Budafok Paper Mill was founded by Károly Dávid in 1873 and the II. It was also a paper processing plant known as the Buda Box Factory after World War II.
The Buda Box Factory was taken over in 1980, so the activities of the Budafok paper mill expanded further. From 1826, it was the only cardboard factory in the country. In the 1990s, the factory was privatized, making it American-owned.
Ferenc Fonyódi was the director of the Budafok Paper Mill for 3 years (1989-1992). As an art patron, he helped set up a workshop for paper artist Géza Mészáros in the building of the cardboard production unit, and also provided him with useful paper waste from production. Thus, from 1981, the paper mill became the cradle of European paper art. In 1986 in Düren, Mészáros and Fonyódi were also founding members of the IAPMA (International Society of Paper Makers and Paper Artists). With the help of the director, the international paper art exhibition Medium: Paper was established in 1992 at the Museum of Fine Arts.
During its operation, it has been a key unit of the Hungarian paper industry for about 60 years.
The cardboard production hall burned down in one hour in July 1995, with no personal injuries. As a result of the fire, cardboard production in Hungary ceased. There are currently smaller plants in operation in the area, mostly rental warehouses and assembly workshops.
Its burns are considered to be the most serious fire in the paper industry.
The hall was briefly revived when, in March 2007, an electronic music event moved into the walls of the old paper mill. The site is perhaps the most underground covered site of all time. The walls collapsed, the plaster slammed into the turntables, there was a place that could only be approached with a ladder through a narrow opening. Today, it would be unthinkable for such a crowd (roughly 2,000 people) in a disused, life-threatening building.