The exciting history of Háros Island – for us – began at the turn of the century. During the regulation of the Danube in the early 1900s, the island of Háros could also be reached from the right bank of the Danube. In the 1920s, Atlantica Trust Rt. Wanted to build a shipyard – one trace of which is the large hall with the inscription – but the company soon stopped investing for financial reasons. The data found show that the River Flotilla “moved” into the area in the 1930s. The expansion of the barracks was carried out in the 1948/50s. The “permanent” formation of the barracks was the Technical Technical Supply Center. It was founded in 1946, probably in Háros, until 2001 it was in the garrison. The barracks also had a precise bridgehead battalion and an independent chemical protection battalion (more precisely, the 9th independent chemical protection battalion, later Nagytarcsa, Szekszárd and then Kiskunfélegyháza were also in garrison). The latter is considered interesting by the 93rd Sándor Petőfi Chemical Defense Battalion of the Hungarian Armed Forces. During the tour, a soldier who served there recounted that the demolished anti-personnel mines had been destroyed here in the early 1990s. After 2001, the barracks operated as an Incurrence Warehouse, primarily the technique of river and technical formations was delivered here. Sometime in 2007, the area was offered for sale, and finally, the first companies moved in around 2012 after the Army handed over its custody. Much of Háros Island has been a strictly protected area since 1993, and we have read in several forums that its flora and fauna are very rich and stand out nationally.
In 2014, some scenes from the Oscar-winning film Son of Saul were shot here.
The area is guarded by the military!
Huge trees overgrown with lianas, roaring waterfowl, a sluggish river, a quiet backwater – this is not along the Amazon, but on Háros Island in South Buda, one of the most valuable protected green areas in the capital.
The peninsula near Budafok – despite its name, is a peninsula – few people know it. No wonder, as the area is completely inaccessible: a closed military object is located on the neck of the peninsula, the former, now empty barracks of János Hunyadi. The specialty of the peninsula is the wild American wild grapes and a lot of hops climbing up the trees, which gives the forest its jungle-like character. There is hardly a floodplain forest in a similar natural state in the country. Although Háros is often called the “primeval forest“, man has been present on the island for 800 years. Deep in the forest are the unexplored ruins of the medieval village of Csőt and the monastery. There are heaps of pits, pits, building ruins, rusty military carriages in the forest reminiscent of the former training ground. The southern two-thirds of the 56-hectare peninsula was declared protected in 1993. It had previously been suggested that a marina, sports fields, container port, motel, or recreational park be established in the area – all of which would have led to the destruction of the valuable floodplain forest. The Danube-Ipoly National Park Directorate has long wanted to take over the management of the protected area. According to their plans, a visitor center would be built on the neighboring Hunyadi Island, but Háros himself would remain a closed area. Only scientific researchers can set foot on the peninsula.